How Irony | Poem

Today I had a literature class with Miss Azy. I had hesitation before I start this sem whether I'm gonna love this class or not. Knowing that everyone seems to be looking forward to it and well yeah, that kinda show they should be good in Lit., no??

Anyway, another reason why I fancy Lit class is because I always find the irony of things that happens in my life in it.

When, in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes (1609) 
by William Shakespeare (1564-1616)


When, in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least,
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
     For thy sweet love rememb'red such wealth brings
     That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

I thought, that explain about one's person situation. One whom I think.. I know. But now, that person is not in this state nemore. So far, that's what was claimed.

For the first quatrain (the first four line), it talks about his problem; he's down in his luck and out of favor with his peers, isolated in self-pity and cursing his fate.


Feeling he's so bad luck in this stuff and blablabla. Feeling lonely when he should've search for the right person. Derr.


From what I learnt in the second quatrain, he is envious of others and dissatisfied with things that usually please him.


This, I need not to explain more. Quite obvious already.


Third quatrain, he thinks of his loved one during his despair and self-hatred, and his spirits soar.


He found happiness in that. But are you really happy? Happy then heartbroken? Temporary happiness? Don't you feel you had enough of it? Didn't you ever think it's time for you to wake up and get real?? You can never find happiness in the wrong way. Yes, you may be happy now. But will you be happy later?


The couplet, sums up the mood transformation the poem describes and explains its significance: when the speaker realizes the emotional riches his loved one gives him, he is no longer envious of others.


It's good that you found your happiness. But I wish you find TRUE happiness. 

If you really know, you would know who and what is it about.

Without we realizing it, we keep chasing the one we WANT, and we barely realize the people that chase after us. We tend to not appreciate their existence, their fondness of us, their affection. We want to chase because we like the game, it gives a little 'spark' in our life. But we never realize,what we did could hurt others.

Keep chasing, you won't find what you're searching for
You're going in the wrong direction, honey 
For what you seek is actually right behind you
If, you could see it.

 


No comments

What's on your mind is there for a reason. :)