World Poetry Day 2016: Reach Out! Melaka


Have you ever felt like what you're doing now is not enough for the betterment of everyone? 

I felt rather selfish as for the past few months I've been focusing too much on me. Not that focusing on yourself is a bad thing. I have lots of things going on, planning and preparing for my future, but it's not only for me, it's for my family as well. Despite having enough on my plate, I still feel... like something is lacking. Something, somewhere is- not enough.

Upon introspection, I realize that I want to do something meaningful, something worthy. 
I want to help. I want to make little changes wherever and whenever I can. 
I want to make life meaningful. 

I took small steps by beginning to search for opportunities where I can help. I browsed through Twitter and I found that there's a lot of opportunities to volunteer. But then, there comes the issue:

Time - I'm currently working, full time, and I can't simply take my time out to do other works secretly, can I? Weekend? Can, but we always have things unexpected coming up.
Transportation - With limited transportation, it's rather difficult to want to go the very opposite place of our usual routine. I can't be selfish with my family just because I want to do some charity. What's the point then, wanting to help others but posing difficulties to your family?

Until one day, my supervisor expressed her intention to do a volunteering project as a way of giving back to society, and I offered myself without a second thought. Quite foolish, I'd say, to not think things through, but sometimes you just have to take the leap! Hahaha I mean, I've been waiting long enough, searching for the perfect opportunity to volunteer, and here it is, being offered in front of me. I could finally volunteer and what better opportunity than to be able to do it during working hour!

So, after much hard work, it's finally the day! Honestly, I couldn't really sleep the night before. Went to sleep around 11pm, but I keep waking up at 2am, 4am and finally at 5.45am I decided to just get ready. I was anxious if we're going to be late that day. Or probably about everything. hahaha

Reach Out! Melaka is a programme organized by Centre for Civilisational Dialogue, University of Malaya and University of Malaya UNESCO Club. It's a volunteering programme conducted in conjunction with World Poetry Day (which is on 21st March, did you notice? ;) )declared by UNESCO. It was conducted at Sekolah Kebangsaan Lubok Redan, Masjid Tanah, Melaka. Since it was held in conjunction with World Poetry Day, we decided to have the group according to the sounds in onomatopoeia. I'm not sure why, but I'm still excited to the idea of it. hahah

You can read more about it in UM news here.

Throughout the activity, I noticed one of the students, a Year 4 student, holding a 'Buku Motivasi' in her hand. Other than the fact that she's the ONLY female leader for one of the groups there, she's also a very smart girl. So during one of the activities, I went to her and asked her about the book. She showed me the inside. The first page is a picture of a clock, and how she divides them for school, homework, chores, daily essential activities. Basically, her time management. There was also about her dreams, what she aims to become in the future, and most importantly, she listed steps on how she can achieve them! I'm impressed! 


I asked her, who taught her that and she told me it was one of the teachers, I couldn't remember his name. God bless the teacher for teaching his students this, how to manage their time, to have goals and how to plan their steps in order to achieve their dreams. I can't stress enough how important it is to manage your time well, to have goals and to dream big.

Anyway, back to the event... Of course, with events like this, things are not going to happen 100%  precisely as planned. There will be some changes, and there were. It's more of how you adapt yourself to the situation, in order to solve the existing issue(s) you're facing. I quite like it. :)

We asked them to design their dream island and they included a freaking dragon! Gotta love their imagination.
One of the highlights of my day that day was hearing the students shouting in excitement the moment they know what prize they're getting. Hahaha Of course they're excited to get prizes, which kid doesn't? But knowing and actually seeing them happy, and learning poetry through fun activities, and enjoying the day, made it seem allllll worth it. (I can finally rest in peace. hahaha)

Despite planning the event in such a short time, I'm truly grateful for our sponsors: Ministry of Youth and Sports, Institute of Teacher Training International Languages Campus, Smart Reader, Tenaga Nasional Berhad and Kumpulan Media Karangkraf. Thank you so much for making our event a success!

Lastly and not to forget, my wonderful team, both from UM and IPG, you have my utmost gratitude for your participation, effort and contribution for this event. You guys rock! I am truly lucky to be given the chance as a Project Coordinator, fortunate to be able to learn a lot throughout the process, and most importantly, I get to give something to the students. I do hope they keep something of that day with them. :)



You can read more about it in UM news here.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments

  1. it reminds me of what we did with Miss Someone (forgot her name hehe) during our Asasi. Went to tadika, rumah kebajikan, memories. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly remember that time, Rauf! :D We went to the orphanage house. We all wore red t-shirt at the time. Though I don't remember if we were in the same team..? hahah

      Delete
  2. your articles are always full of clever thoughts! writing service will make all your blog posts interesting and readable by everyone.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind is there for a reason. :)